Friday, January 15, 2010

Capacitor Size

As you guys know, I have someone building one of my welders at the moment. He (Shawn) measured the capacitance of his capacitor and came out way short (He is sending it back). Shawn connected 3 capacitors in parallel with a total of 4.5 Farads. He said that the welder worked really good until he cranked it up to 18V with a first pulse of 30Ms and a second of 35Ms when he heard a "pop", That was after about 18 welds. We are trying to find out what went wrong and are in a process of pinpointing the problem. The first pulse is basically just to burn away oil and dirt and the second pulse is the one that does the actual weld. 30Ms for a first pulse is way too high and It might have something to do with the popping sound. When we find the problem, I will redesign and make sure that this never happens again. Hang in there guys, I will keep you updated.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Fritz,

    the problem is such capacitor can't take more than 15V without destroying quickly !
    (or venting which was the noise he heard)

    they are not industrial grade ones so take care.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Phil, you are not correct and that was not the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet the capacitors in parallel put more load on one capacitor than the others. The same machine should work fine with one capacitor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No they don't. Please guys...the problem was found and I gave an explanation of what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI FRITZ: I WAS WONDERING IF YOU SELL THIS WELDER AS A COMPLETE KIT WITH ALL THE PARTS AND A MANUAL TO HOME BUILD...SOME PARTS PRE-ASSEMBLED FROM YOU(LIKE YOUR BOARDS) PLUS A LIST OF ALL THE OTHER PARTS TO PURCHASE SOMEWHERE ELSE... OR CAN YOU SELL A WORKING UNIT?
    MY ELECTRONICS KNOWLEDGE IS LIMITED(POOR COMPARE TO YOU)BUT I CAN FOLLOW DIRECTIONS AND BLUE PRINTS PRETTY GOOD(I AM A CONTRACTOR SO I CAN HANDLE A "PUZZLE").
    WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? FOR ME TO DO IF I WANT TO MAKE OR GET ONE OF YOU MACHINES?
    THANK YOU MUCH.
    FRANK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frank, I don't sell them as complete kits. I'm selling two PCB's with a bill of materials and instruction manuals to build this welder. You have to buy the components, capacitor, wires, and transformer etc yourself. Many people offer to pay for my time if I build this welder for them, not willing to pay more than $1/hour *smile*. If you don't have electronic experience, can solder and have the right tools this is going to be a project that will be out of your league, sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will be reviewed before being posted to keep spam out. Please add your name to your comment.